The untimely death of Pop Smoke sent shockwaves through the music industry and left his fans devastated. At just 20 years old, the rising star had already made a significant impact on the hip-hop scene with his unique sound and captivating personality. In this article, we will explore the life and legacy of Pop Smoke, with a particular focus on the question that has been on everyone’s mind: how old was he when he died? We will delve into his rise to fame, his music, and his influence on the genre, as well as the circumstances surrounding his untimely passing. So, let’s dive in and discover the story of one of hip-hop’s brightest stars.
Pop Smoke, born Bashar Barakah Jackson, was a prominent rapper from Brooklyn, New York. He gained immense popularity during his brief career, which was tragically cut short by his murder at the age of 20. On February 20, 2020, Pop Smoke was shot and killed during a home invasion in Los Angeles. His untimely death sent shockwaves through the music industry and left his fans devastated. Despite his young age, Pop Smoke had already made a significant impact on the hip-hop scene with his unique style and captivating lyrics. His posthumously released debut album, “Shoot for the Stars Aim for the Moon,” debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 chart and cemented his legacy as a rising star in the music world.
The Early Life of Pop Smoke
His Family Background and Early Years
Pop Smoke, born Bashar Barakah Jackson, was raised in Brooklyn, New York. His parents, Judith and Greg Jackson, were both educators, with his mother being a school counselor and his father a school superintendent.
Pop Smoke was the oldest of his siblings, with two younger brothers. He was raised in a Christian household and attended church regularly as a child. His family was of Jamaican and Panamanian descent, and he often referenced his Caribbean roots in his music.
Growing up, Pop Smoke was exposed to a wide range of musical genres, including reggae, dancehall, and hip-hop. He began rapping at a young age and quickly developed a passion for music. In interviews, he credited his parents for supporting his musical ambitions and allowing him to pursue his dreams.
Despite his love for music, Pop Smoke was also a dedicated student. He attended a prestigious performing arts high school in Brooklyn, where he honed his skills as a rapper and gained recognition within the local music scene.
Overall, Pop Smoke’s early years were marked by a strong support system, a love for music, and a clear sense of direction. His family background and upbringing would play a significant role in shaping the person he would become, both as an artist and as a person.
His Passion for Music and Early Influences
Pop Smoke’s passion for music began at a young age, as he grew up listening to various genres such as hip-hop, R&B, and reggae. His early influences included artists like Jay-Z, 50 Cent, and Michael Jackson, who would later inspire his music and style.
As a teenager, Pop Smoke started recording his own music and sharing it with his friends and family. He was particularly drawn to drill music, a genre that originated in the UK and gained popularity in the US, particularly in his hometown of Brooklyn. Drill music typically features hard-hitting beats and lyrics that focus on street life and the struggles of growing up in inner-city environments.
Pop Smoke’s early experiences with music were not always positive, as he faced challenges such as poverty and violence in his community. However, he used these experiences as inspiration for his music, often writing about his struggles and the struggles of those around him.
Despite the challenges he faced, Pop Smoke remained dedicated to his music and continued to hone his craft. He eventually gained recognition for his unique sound and style, which blended elements of drill music with other genres such as rap and R&B.
Through his music, Pop Smoke became a voice for his generation, sharing their experiences and providing a platform for their stories to be heard. His passion for music and his commitment to his craft made him a rising star in the hip-hop world, and his legacy continues to inspire and influence others to this day.
The Beginning of His Music Career
Bashar Barakah Jackson, better known by his stage name Pop Smoke, was born on July 20, 1999, in Brooklyn, New York. From a young age, Pop Smoke was drawn to music and began his journey as a musician at the age of 16. He initially gained recognition by posting his music on SoundCloud, where his unique style and flow caught the attention of many in the hip-hop community.
Pop Smoke’s early music career was characterized by his affiliation with the Brooklyn drill movement, which was a subgenre of drill music that originated in the UK and became popular in the US. Drill music is known for its fast-paced rhythms and aggressive lyrics, often dealing with themes of violence and crime. Pop Smoke’s music was heavily influenced by this movement, and he quickly became one of the most prominent artists associated with it.
One of Pop Smoke’s earliest tracks, “MPR,” was released in 2018 and helped to establish him as a rising star in the drill scene. The song’s gritty lyrics and intense beat showcased Pop Smoke’s raw talent and his ability to connect with listeners through his music. As he continued to release more music, he began to attract a dedicated fanbase that was drawn to his unique style and honest lyrics.
In addition to his musical talent, Pop Smoke was also known for his entrepreneurial spirit. He founded his own record label, called “The Woo Hood,” which helped to support and promote other up-and-coming artists in the drill scene. Through his label, Pop Smoke was able to create a community of like-minded artists who shared his passion for music and his commitment to making a name for themselves in the industry.
Overall, the beginning of Pop Smoke’s music career was marked by his incredible talent, his dedication to his craft, and his willingness to take risks and pursue his dreams. Despite facing numerous challenges and obstacles along the way, Pop Smoke remained focused on his goals and worked tirelessly to make a name for himself in the competitive world of hip-hop.
The Rise to Fame
His Breakthrough Singles and Debut Mixtape
In the summer of 2019, Pop Smoke’s music began to gain traction on the streaming platform SoundCloud. His breakthrough single, “Welcome to the Party,” was released in June of that year and quickly gained popularity. The song’s infectious beat and Pop Smoke’s smooth vocals made it an instant hit, and it quickly racked up millions of streams on SoundCloud and other platforms.
The success of “Welcome to the Party” led to the release of Pop Smoke’s debut mixtape, “Meet the Woo,” in July of the same year. The mixtape showcased Pop Smoke’s unique style and vision, blending elements of drill, rap, and R&B to create a sound that was entirely his own.
“Meet the Woo” was a critical and commercial success, earning widespread acclaim from fans and critics alike. The mixtape’s standout tracks, including “Dior” and “War,” cemented Pop Smoke’s status as a rising star in the hip-hop world.
Pop Smoke’s rise to fame was meteoric, and he quickly became known for his energetic live performances and charismatic personality. He was soon signed to Republic Records and began working on his debut studio album, “Shoot for the Stars, Aim for the Moon.”
The rest of the article will delve into Pop Smoke’s life and legacy, exploring his impact on the hip-hop world and his untimely death at the age of 20.
Collaborations and Features
Pop Smoke’s rise to fame was marked by his numerous collaborations and features with other prominent artists in the music industry. Some of his most notable collaborations include:
- A Boogie wit da Hoodie: Pop Smoke and A Boogie wit da Hoodie teamed up for the hit single “Swervin,” which was released in 2019 and quickly gained popularity on streaming platforms.
- NLE Choppa: The two young rappers joined forces for the song “Panic,” which was featured on Pop Smoke’s debut mixtape, “Meet the Woo.”
- Fivio Foreign: Pop Smoke and Fivio Foreign collaborated on the song “Moor Peezy,” which was also included on “Meet the Woo.”
- Nicki Minaj: Pop Smoke and Nicki Minaj worked together on the song “Punaany,” which was featured on Nicki Minaj’s “Queen” album.
- Travis Scott: Pop Smoke and Travis Scott collaborated on the song “Gatti,” which was released in 2019 and quickly became a fan favorite.
These collaborations and features helped to solidify Pop Smoke’s place in the rap scene and gave him the opportunity to reach a wider audience.
His Unique Sound and Style
Pop Smoke’s unique sound and style were a significant factor in his rise to fame. He fused elements of drill music, a genre that originated in the UK and became popular in the US, with his own innovative approach. His music often featured a mix of rapid-fire delivery, emotive lyrics, and catchy hooks, showcasing his ability to create a distinctive sound that resonated with listeners.
Some of the key aspects of Pop Smoke’s sound and style included:
- Innovative Production Techniques: Pop Smoke worked closely with talented producers who helped him create beats that were both hard-hitting and melodic. His music often featured intricate drum patterns, distorted basslines, and atmospheric soundscapes that set him apart from other artists in the genre.
- Emotive Lyrics: Pop Smoke’s lyrics were deeply personal and often explored themes of love, loss, and struggle. He had a gift for storytelling, and his words were imbued with a sense of vulnerability and honesty that connected with his audience on a deep level.
- Confident Delivery: Pop Smoke’s delivery was characterized by its confidence and swagger. He rapped with a clear, assertive voice that commanded attention, and his flow was impeccable, with a smoothness that belied the complexity of his rhymes.
- Fashion and Style: Pop Smoke was known for his impeccable sense of style, often sporting designer brands and high-end jewelry. He understood the importance of image in the music industry and used his fashion choices to complement his music and enhance his overall brand.
Overall, Pop Smoke’s unique sound and style were essential components of his success. He was able to stand out in a crowded field of drill artists by pushing the boundaries of the genre and incorporating a wide range of influences. His innovative approach to music-making and his commitment to his craft earned him a devoted fan base and secured his place as one of the most exciting young talents in hip-hop.
The Launch of His Record Label
Pop Smoke’s rise to fame was remarkable, and one of the key factors that contributed to his success was the launch of his record label. In 2019, he founded the record label “Fanatics,” which was distributed by Universal Music Group. This move marked a significant milestone in his career, as it gave him complete creative control over his music and allowed him to build a team of like-minded individuals who shared his vision.
Through his record label, Pop Smoke was able to release a series of mixtapes that showcased his unique sound and style. These mixtapes, including “Meet the Woo” and “Woo 2,” quickly gained popularity on streaming platforms and solidified his status as a rising star in the drill scene. The success of these mixtapes also caught the attention of major labels, which began to take notice of Pop Smoke’s talent and potential.
In addition to releasing his own music, Pop Smoke also used his record label as a platform to promote and support other up-and-coming artists. He signed a number of acts to Fanatics, including fellow drill rappers like Lil Tjay and Sheff G. By doing so, he helped to foster a sense of community and collaboration within the drill scene, which ultimately contributed to its continued growth and success.
Overall, the launch of his record label was a crucial step in Pop Smoke’s journey to becoming a household name in the music industry. It allowed him to control his own artistic vision, connect with other talented artists, and ultimately leave a lasting impact on the world of hip-hop.
Tragedy and Loss
The Incident That Took His Life
On February 19, 2020, Pop Smoke was fatally shot during a home invasion in the Hollywood Hills neighborhood of Los Angeles. The incident occurred at around 5:30 a.m. local time, when a group of masked individuals broke into the home where Pop Smoke was staying.
According to reports, the intruders confronted Pop Smoke and others who were inside the home. A struggle ensued, and Pop Smoke was shot multiple times. Despite efforts to save him, he was pronounced dead at the scene.
The shocking nature of Pop Smoke’s death sent shockwaves through the music industry and beyond. His untimely passing at the age of 20 left many questioning what might have been, and sparked a conversation about the dangers of gun violence and the toll it takes on young lives.
The incident remains under investigation, and no arrests have been made as of this writing.
The Aftermath and Tributes
After Pop Smoke’s untimely death, the music industry and his fans were left in shock and mourning. In the aftermath of his passing, tributes from fellow artists, friends, and family members poured in, honoring the life and legacy of the young rapper.
- Fellow Artists: Many of Pop Smoke’s peers in the music industry took to social media to express their condolences and pay their respects. Rappers such as 50 Cent, Nicki Minaj, and Cardi B were among those who publicly mourned the loss of the rising star. In a heartfelt Instagram post, 50 Cent wrote, “I can’t believe this. RIP POP SMOKE, this kid was on his way to being one of the biggest stars in the game.”
- Friends and Family: Pop Smoke’s friends and family members also shared their memories and thoughts on the rapper’s life and impact. His brother, Obasi Jackson, shared a heartfelt tribute on Instagram, writing, “I can’t believe you’re gone, man. We’re going to miss you so much. I’m so proud of you and the legacy you left behind.”
- Fans: Pop Smoke’s fans were devastated by the news of his passing, with many taking to social media to express their grief and pay their respects. Fans from around the world shared their favorite memories and songs from the rapper, highlighting his impact on their lives and the music industry as a whole.
In the days following his death, Pop Smoke’s music continued to resonate with listeners, with his streams and downloads spiking significantly. His untimely passing served as a reminder of the fleeting nature of life and the importance of cherishing every moment.
The Lasting Impact on the Music Industry
The untimely death of Pop Smoke at the age of 20 shook the music industry and left a lasting impact on the hip-hop scene. Here are some of the ways in which his passing continues to be felt:
- Inspiration for new artists: Pop Smoke’s unique style and sound inspired a new generation of artists, many of whom have continued to push the boundaries of the genre in innovative ways. His influence can be heard in the music of many rising stars in the hip-hop world.
- A focus on drill music: Pop Smoke’s music was largely centered around the drill genre, a style of electronic dance music that originated in the UK and has become increasingly popular in the US. His success helped to bring drill music into the mainstream, leading to a surge of interest in the genre among both fans and artists.
- A legacy of innovation: Pop Smoke was known for his ability to blend different styles and sounds, creating a unique and fresh approach to hip-hop. His legacy continues to inspire artists to push the boundaries of the genre and experiment with new sounds and styles.
- A reminder of the fragility of life: Pop Smoke’s death was a stark reminder of the fragility of life and the importance of living each day to the fullest. His passing has served as a wake-up call for many in the music industry, encouraging them to make the most of their time and to never take anything for granted.
Overall, the lasting impact of Pop Smoke’s death on the music industry can be seen in the many ways in which his legacy continues to inspire and influence artists today. His unique sound and style will undoubtedly continue to shape the future of hip-hop for years to come.
Legacy and Impact
The Influence of Pop Smoke on Today’s Music
Since his untimely death, Pop Smoke has had a profound impact on the music industry. His unique style, which blended elements of drill, rap, and R&B, has influenced countless artists and has helped to shape the sound of today’s music.
One of the most significant ways in which Pop Smoke has influenced today’s music is through his contributions to the drill genre. Drill music, which originated in the UK and was popularized by artists like Skepta and Stormzy, is a type of electronic dance music that is characterized by its repetitive beats and MC-led vocals. Pop Smoke’s incorporation of drill elements into his music helped to bring the genre to a wider audience and has inspired countless other artists to do the same.
Rap and R&B Fusion
Another way in which Pop Smoke has influenced today’s music is through his unique approach to rap and R&B fusion. His music often blended elements of both genres, creating a sound that was both fresh and innovative. This approach has since been adopted by many other artists, who have sought to blend rap and R&B in new and interesting ways.
Style and Fashion
Finally, Pop Smoke’s influence on today’s music can be seen in the way that he pioneered a new style of fashion. His distinctive look, which included oversized clothes and a preference for bright colors, has been widely imitated by other artists and has helped to shape the aesthetic of contemporary hip-hop.
Overall, Pop Smoke’s legacy on today’s music is significant and far-reaching. His contributions to drill, rap, and R&B have helped to shape the sound of contemporary music, while his style and fashion have influenced the way that artists present themselves to the world. As his music continues to be discovered by new audiences, it is clear that his impact will only continue to grow.
The Founding of the Pop Smoke Foundation
Following his untimely death, Pop Smoke’s family and friends came together to establish the Pop Smoke Foundation in his honor. The foundation is dedicated to supporting underserved youth in various ways, including providing education and resources to help them achieve their goals.
One of the key initiatives of the Pop Smoke Foundation is its scholarship program. The foundation offers scholarships to students who have demonstrated academic excellence and a commitment to community service. These scholarships provide financial assistance to help students attend college or vocational school, and they are designed to help promote educational opportunities for young people who might not otherwise have access to them.
In addition to its scholarship program, the Pop Smoke Foundation also supports a range of other initiatives aimed at helping young people. For example, the foundation has partnered with local organizations to provide mentorship and job training programs, and it has worked to provide access to healthcare and other essential services for young people in need.
Overall, the Pop Smoke Foundation represents a lasting legacy of Pop Smoke’s commitment to helping others and making a positive impact on the world. Through its work, the foundation seeks to inspire and empower young people to achieve their dreams and make a difference in their communities.
The Posthumous Release of His Music
Following his untimely death, Pop Smoke’s music continued to make an impact on the music industry and his fans. One of the most significant ways in which his legacy has been preserved is through the posthumous release of his music.
In the months following his passing, Pop Smoke’s record label, Victor Victor Worldwide and Republic Records, announced that they would be releasing his highly anticipated debut album, “Shoot for the Stars Aim for the Moon,” on July 3, 2020. The album was set to feature 16 tracks, including his hit single “Dior” featuring Nicki Minaj and “Welcome to the Party” featuring Migos and Cardi B.
The release of the album was met with both critical acclaim and commercial success, debuting at number 1 on the US Billboard 200 chart and receiving widespread praise from fans and critics alike. The album solidified Pop Smoke’s position as a rising star in the drill scene and a dominant force in the rap world.
In addition to the release of his debut album, several posthumous singles and collaborations have been released, further cementing Pop Smoke’s influence on the music industry. In May 2021, his song “Paper Love” featuring A Boogie wit da Hoodie was released, followed by “Mood Swings” featuring Lil Tjay in June 2021.
These posthumous releases not only provide a sense of closure for fans but also showcase the depth and range of Pop Smoke’s talent. They serve as a reminder of the impact he had on the music industry and the potential he had for continued success.
The posthumous release of Pop Smoke’s music also highlights the power of the internet and social media in preserving and sharing his legacy. His music videos and performances continue to gain millions of views on YouTube and other platforms, demonstrating the enduring appeal of his music and the ongoing interest in his story.
In conclusion, the posthumous release of Pop Smoke’s music has played a significant role in preserving his legacy and solidifying his position as a rising star in the rap world. It is a testament to his talent and the impact he had on his fans and the music industry as a whole.
The Future of Pop Smoke’s Music and Legacy
Upcoming Releases and Projects
Since his untimely death, there has been a significant interest in Pop Smoke’s music and legacy. The future of his music is particularly intriguing, as it seems that there is still much more to come from this talented artist.
One of the most exciting aspects of Pop Smoke’s future is the prospect of posthumous releases. These releases will allow his fans to continue to enjoy his music and style long after his passing. The first posthumous release from Pop Smoke was the single “Make It Rain,” which was released in July 2020. This single showcased Pop Smoke’s unique sound and style, and it quickly became a hit among his fans.
In addition to “Make It Rain,” there are reportedly several other unreleased tracks that will be released in the coming months and years. These tracks are sure to be highly anticipated by Pop Smoke’s fans, who are eager to hear more of his music.
Collaborations and Features
Another exciting aspect of Pop Smoke’s future is the potential for collaborations and features with other artists. Pop Smoke was known for his ability to work with a wide range of artists and produce hit songs together. In the future, it is likely that we will see more of these collaborations and features, as other artists look to work with Pop Smoke’s unique sound and style.
One of the most highly anticipated collaborations is with the rapper 50 Cent. The two artists had previously worked together on the song “Getteen,” which was released in 2019. Since then, there have been rumors of more collaborations between the two artists, and fans are eagerly awaiting these tracks.
New Projects and Releases
Finally, there are also rumors of new projects and releases from Pop Smoke’s record label, Victor Victor Worldwide. The label has stated that they have several projects in the works, including new music from Pop Smoke. While there are no details yet on what these projects will entail, fans are excited to see what the future holds for Pop Smoke’s music.
Overall, the future of Pop Smoke’s music and legacy is bright. With posthumous releases, collaborations, and new projects on the horizon, his fans can rest assured that there will be plenty of new music to enjoy in the coming years.
The Enduring Popularity of Pop Smoke’s Music
Even though Pop Smoke’s career was cut short by his untimely death, his music continues to resonate with audiences around the world. His unique style and sound have made a lasting impact on the music industry, and his music remains popular to this day.
One reason for the enduring popularity of Pop Smoke’s music is the authenticity and honesty of his lyrics. He drew on his personal experiences and emotions to create music that was relatable and genuine. His music spoke to a generation of young people who were searching for a voice that represented their struggles and triumphs.
Another reason for the enduring popularity of Pop Smoke’s music is the quality of his production. His beats were hard-hitting and infectious, and he had a knack for creating hooks that stayed in your head for days. His music was both innovative and traditional, blending elements of drill and trap with classic hip-hop sounds.
Pop Smoke’s music has also been embraced by other artists in the industry. Many have cited him as an influence, and his style has been copied by countless others. This speaks to the power of his music and the impact he had on the industry as a whole.
In conclusion, the enduring popularity of Pop Smoke’s music is a testament to his talent and the lasting legacy he left behind. His music will continue to inspire and resonate with audiences for years to come, and his memory will live on through his music.
The Enduring Legacy of Pop Smoke
Even though Pop Smoke’s life was cut short, his impact on the music industry and his fans continues to grow. His music, which often explored themes of love, heartbreak, and life in the streets, has struck a chord with listeners across the world. Pop Smoke’s legacy as a groundbreaking artist and cultural icon will endure for years to come.
- Influence on Future Artists: Pop Smoke’s innovative sound and style have inspired countless artists in the drill and rap genres. His influence can be heard in the music of artists like 22GZ, Sheff G, and many others.
- Mainstream Acceptance: Pop Smoke’s popularity has transcended the underground scene, with his music finding a wider audience on streaming platforms. His songs “Dior” and “Welcome to the Party” have become anthems in clubs and parties around the world.
- Posthumous Releases: Even after his death, Pop Smoke’s music continues to be released, with posthumous albums like “Shoot for the Stars, Aim for the Moon” and “Faith” showcasing his talent and versatility as an artist. These releases have only served to further cement his status as a cultural icon.
- Impact on Fashion: Pop Smoke’s style, which often incorporated luxury brands like Gucci and Versace, has had a significant impact on fashion trends. His signature look, which often included a black Balenciaga mask, has been adopted by countless fans and has even influenced the designs of high-end fashion brands.
In conclusion, Pop Smoke’s enduring legacy can be seen in the countless artists he has inspired, the wide audience his music has found, the posthumous releases that continue to be celebrated, and the impact his style has had on fashion. His contributions to the music industry and popular culture will continue to be felt for years to come.
His Impact on Hip-Hop and Music as a Whole
Despite his untimely death, Pop Smoke’s influence on hip-hop and music as a whole has continued to grow. His unique style, which blended drill, rap, and R&B, helped to push the boundaries of what was possible in the genre. In this section, we will explore some of the ways in which Pop Smoke’s impact can still be felt today.
- Innovative Production Techniques
- Pop Smoke’s beats were characterized by their hard-hitting drums and atmospheric soundscapes, which often incorporated elements of dancehall, grime, and UK drill. This unique approach to production helped to redefine the sound of drill music and inspired countless other producers to experiment with new techniques.
- Diverse Influences
- Pop Smoke’s music drew on a wide range of influences, including drill, rap, R&B, and dancehall. By blending these different styles together, he helped to create a sound that was both fresh and distinctive. His legacy continues to inspire other artists to draw on diverse influences and push the boundaries of what is possible in hip-hop.
- Cultural Impact
- Pop Smoke’s music had a profound impact on the wider culture, helping to bring drill music into the mainstream and making it a vital part of the hip-hop scene. His lyrics often dealt with the realities of life in the inner city, touching on themes such as poverty, violence, and inequality. By giving voice to these issues, he helped to raise awareness of the challenges faced by young people in marginalized communities.
- Collaborations and Tributes
- Since his death, there have been numerous collaborations and tributes to Pop Smoke, as other artists seek to pay homage to his legacy. These collaborations have helped to further cement his place in the history of hip-hop, ensuring that his music will continue to be celebrated for years to come.
Overall, Pop Smoke’s impact on hip-hop and music as a whole cannot be overstated. His innovative production techniques, diverse influences, cultural impact, and legacy of collaborations and tributes have all helped to make him one of the most important figures in the genre. As we continue to explore his life and legacy, it is clear that his impact will be felt for many years to come.
The Future of Pop Smoke’s Music and His Place in Music History
- The continued impact of Pop Smoke’s music on the industry and fans
- The influence of his unique sound and style on contemporary hip-hop and rap
- Collaborations and remixes of his songs by other artists
- The incorporation of his sound and techniques in the music of up-and-coming artists
- The enduring popularity of his songs and albums, even years after his death
- Streaming numbers and chart positions of his music
- The response of fans to his posthumous releases and projects
- The influence of his unique sound and style on contemporary hip-hop and rap
- The cementing of Pop Smoke’s place in music history
- The recognition of his contributions to the genre by industry professionals and critics
- Awards and nominations for his music and impact
- Features in publications and documentaries about the history of hip-hop and rap
- The lasting impact of his music on the culture and sound of hip-hop and rap
- The influence of his music on the style and sound of future artists
- The continuation of his legacy through the music of artists inspired by him.
- The recognition of his contributions to the genre by industry professionals and critics
1. How old was Pop Smoke when he died?
Pop Smoke was only 20 years old when he was tragically killed on February 19, 2020. Despite his young age, he had already made a significant impact on the music industry with his unique sound and captivating persona.
2. What was the cause of Pop Smoke’s death?
Pop Smoke was shot and killed during a home invasion in Los Angeles, California. The incident occurred at around 4:30 am on February 19, 2020, and police believe that it was a targeted attack.
3. Who was Pop Smoke?
Pop Smoke was a rising rapper from Brooklyn, New York. He was born on July 20, 2000, and his real name was Bashar Barakah Jackson. He gained fame with his debut mixtape, “Meet the Woo,” which was released in 2018 when he was just 18 years old. He continued to release popular music throughout his career, with his hit single “Dior” reaching number six on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart.
4. What was Pop Smoke’s musical style?
Pop Smoke’s music was heavily influenced by drill music, a subgenre of hip-hop that originated in the UK and gained popularity in the US. His music often featured dark, gritty beats and hard-hitting lyrics that explored themes of violence, drug use, and life in the streets.
5. How did Pop Smoke’s death impact the music industry?
Pop Smoke’s death was a significant loss to the music industry, as he was considered one of the most promising young artists in the drill scene. His untimely passing sparked a conversation about the dangers of the lifestyle portrayed in drill music and the toll it takes on young artists. Many in the industry paid tribute to Pop Smoke, including fellow rappers and producers who had worked with him.