Broadway, the heart of New York City’s theater scene, is a place where some of the most iconic plays and musicals come to life. With new shows constantly premiering and others ending their runs, it can be hard to keep up with what’s currently playing on the Great White Way. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take a look at the latest plays and shows that have taken up residence on Broadway, giving you a taste of what’s hot and what’s not. So whether you’re a theater aficionado or just looking for a night out on the town, read on to find out what’s currently lighting up the stage on Broadway.
Broadway Shows and Plays You Don’t Want to Miss
If you’re a theater enthusiast, then you know that Broadway is the ultimate destination for live performances. With so many shows and plays to choose from, it can be overwhelming to decide which ones to watch. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the top Broadway shows and plays that you don’t want to miss. From musicals to dramas, these productions are sure to leave you in awe.
- Hamilton – This revolutionary musical tells the story of founding father Alexander Hamilton and his impact on American history. With its catchy beats and thought-provoking lyrics, it’s no wonder that Hamilton has become a cultural phenomenon.
- The Lion King – This iconic musical brings the story of the Lion King to life on stage with stunning costumes, puppets, and special effects. It’s a must-see for anyone who loves Disney and theater.
- Wicked – This beloved musical tells the story of the witches of Oz and their journey to become the characters we know from The Wizard of Oz. With its memorable songs and heartwarming story, Wicked is a must-see for anyone who loves musicals.
- The Crucible – This classic play by Arthur Miller explores the Salem witch trials and their impact on the community. With its themes of fear, hysteria, and injustice, it’s a timely reminder of the dangers of mob mentality.
- A Doll’s House – This play by Henrik Ibsen tells the story of a woman who rebels against the confines of her marriage and society. With its exploration of gender roles and the expectations placed on women, it’s a powerful commentary on the struggle for equality.
- To Kill a Mockingbird – This play is based on the classic novel by Harper Lee and explores the themes of racial injustice and the loss of innocence. With its powerful performances and thought-provoking themes, it’s a must-see for anyone who loves theater.
- The Play That Goes Wrong – This hilarious play follows the misadventures of a group of actors trying to put on a production. With its slapstick humor and unexpected twists, it’s a laugh-out-loud comedy that’s sure to delight audiences.
- The Prom – This musical tells the story of a group of Broadway stars who travel to a small town to support a teenager who wants to bring her girlfriend to prom. With its infectious songs and uplifting message, it’s a feel-good comedy that’s perfect for a night out.
- Shear Madness – This classic play is a whodunit murder mystery that involves the audience in the investigation. With its witty dialogue and unexpected twists, it’s a fun and interactive comedy that’s been entertaining audiences for decades.
Whether you’re a fan of musicals, dramas, or comedies, there’s something for everyone on Broadway. So what are you waiting for? Get your tickets and experience the magic of live theater on Broadway.
- Overview: Hamilton is a historical musical that tells the story of founding father Alexander Hamilton, one of the most influential figures in American history. The show features a diverse cast and a blend of hip-hop, jazz, and traditional show tunes.
- What Makes it Special: Hamilton’s innovative use of storytelling, combined with its diverse cast and score, has revolutionized the world of musical theater. The show has been praised for its engaging and thought-provoking themes, as well as its top-notch performances.
- Why You Should See it: If you’re a fan of musical theater, history, or just great storytelling, Hamilton is a must-see. With its powerful lyrics, memorable melodies, and talented cast, it’s no wonder that this show has become a Broadway sensation.
The Lion King
- Overview: The Lion King is a beloved musical that brings the classic story of the Disney film to life on stage. With stunning costumes, intricate sets, and a talented cast, this show is a visual and auditory feast.
- What Makes it Special: The Lion King’s unique blend of African-inspired music, dance, and storytelling sets it apart from other musicals. The show’s impressive stage design and puppetry also make it a standout production.
- Why You Should See it: If you’re a fan of Disney, musical theater, or just beautiful productions, The Lion King is worth checking out. Its stunning visuals and memorable score make it a timeless classic that appeals to audiences of all ages.
- Overview: Wicked is a musical that tells the story of the witches from the Land of Oz, long before Dorothy arrived in the famous shoes. The show features catchy tunes, elaborate costumes, and a captivating storyline.
- What Makes it Special: Wicked’s clever use of storytelling and its unique take on a familiar tale make it a standout production. The show’s themes of friendship, identity, and social justice also resonate with audiences.
- Why You Should See it: If you’re a fan of musical theater, fantasy, or just great storytelling, Wicked is worth checking out. With its memorable melodies, impressive sets, and talented cast, it’s no wonder that this show has become a Broadway staple.
Critically Acclaimed Plays
If you’re looking for an unforgettable theatrical experience, then you won’t want to miss out on these critically acclaimed plays currently showing on Broadway.
The Trip to Bountiful
“The Trip to Bountiful” is a heartwarming and deeply moving play that tells the story of an elderly woman named Mrs. Carrie Watts, who embarks on a journey to visit her hometown of Bountiful, Texas. This touching drama explores themes of family, love, and the longing for a simpler life. The play features a stellar cast, including Cicely Tyson, who gives a standout performance as Mrs. Watts. With its poignant script and emotional performances, “The Trip to Bountiful” is a must-see for anyone who loves powerful and thought-provoking theater.
A Raisin in the Sun
“A Raisin in the Sun” is a groundbreaking play that explores the struggles and aspirations of a working-class African American family living in Chicago during the 1950s. The play revolves around the family’s efforts to use an insurance check to improve their living conditions, and the conflicts that arise when their dreams clash with the reality of racial discrimination and poverty. This powerful and thought-provoking drama features an outstanding cast, including Denzel Washington and Danny Glover, and offers a rare glimpse into the lives and experiences of African Americans during a pivotal moment in American history.
All the Way
“All the Way” is a gripping political drama that tells the story of Lyndon B. Johnson’s tumultuous first year as President of the United States, following the assassination of John F. Kennedy. The play explores the challenges and triumphs that Johnson faced as he worked to pass his ambitious legislative agenda, including the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act. With its stellar cast, including Bryan Cranston in the lead role, and its masterful script, “All the Way” offers a fascinating and nuanced portrayal of one of the most important periods in American political history.
Broadway is home to a variety of shows and plays that cater to different tastes and preferences. For those who are looking for thought-provoking dramas that challenge their perspectives and touch their hearts, there are several options to choose from. Here are some of the most highly recommended thought-provoking dramas currently playing on Broadway:
- The Elephant Man
The Elephant Man is a critically acclaimed play that tells the true story of John Merrick, a man who was diagnosed with a rare skin disease that caused his body to become severely deformed. The play follows Merrick’s journey from a sideshow freak to a celebrated celebrity, as he struggles to come to terms with his condition and find meaning in his life. The Elephant Man is a powerful and poignant drama that explores themes of identity, humanity, and the nature of beauty.
- The Normal Heart
The Normal Heart is a drama that explores the early years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in New York City. The play follows a group of activists who band together to fight for the rights of people living with HIV/AIDS, as they face discrimination, ignorance, and apathy from the government and the public. The Normal Heart is a gripping and emotional drama that sheds light on a dark chapter in American history and reminds us of the importance of advocacy and activism.
- Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is a classic play that explores the complex dynamics of a dysfunctional marriage and the power struggles that come with it. The play follows George and Martha, a middle-aged couple who engage in a series of verbal and emotional battles with their guests, a young couple who are also their son’s in-laws. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is a psychological drama that delves into themes of power, control, and the destructive nature of relationships.
How to Purchase Tickets for Broadway Shows
If you’re interested in seeing a Broadway show, purchasing tickets can be a daunting task. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you navigate the process:
- Determine Your Budget: Determine how much you’re willing to spend on tickets. Broadway shows can range from inexpensive off-Broadway productions to more expensive shows like Hamilton or The Lion King.
- Choose Your Show: Decide which show you want to see. There are a variety of options to choose from, including classic musicals, contemporary plays, and comedies.
- Check Availability: Check the show’s website or call the box office to see if tickets are available. You can also use online ticket vendors like Ticketmaster or StubHub.
- Purchase Tickets: Once you’ve found the tickets you want, you can purchase them online, over the phone, or in person at the box office. Be sure to read the terms and conditions carefully to avoid any surprises.
- Print Your Tickets: If you purchased your tickets online, be sure to print them out before the show. Some theaters may also offer mobile ticketing options.
- Arrive Early: Arrive at the theater at least 30 minutes before the show starts to ensure that you have time to get settled in your seat and find the restroom if needed.
By following these steps, you can ensure that you have a smooth and enjoyable experience purchasing tickets for your favorite Broadway show.
Online Ticket Sales
There are several online platforms where you can purchase tickets for Broadway shows. These platforms offer convenience and flexibility, allowing you to purchase tickets from the comfort of your own home.
Official Broadway Website
The official Broadway website is a reliable and secure platform to purchase tickets for Broadway shows. It offers a wide range of shows and seats to choose from, and you can often find exclusive deals and discounts on the website. The official Broadway website also provides information on show schedules, seating arrangements, and theatre policies.
Ticketmaster is a popular online ticket sales platform that offers tickets for Broadway shows, as well as other events. It provides a user-friendly interface and a wide range of seating options to choose from. Ticketmaster also offers various discounts and promotions, and you can often find discounted tickets for select shows.
StubHub is another popular online ticket sales platform that offers tickets for Broadway shows, as well as other events. It provides a secure and reliable platform for purchasing tickets, and it offers a wide range of seating options to choose from. StubHub also offers a “flexible ticket” option, which allows you to purchase tickets for a specific show but choose your seats at a later date.
In-Person Ticket Sales
- Broadway Box Office
- Location: The Broadway Box Office is located at 236 West 44th Street, between 7th and 8th Avenues, in the heart of Times Square.
- Hours: The box office is open from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Monday through Saturday, and from 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM on Sunday.
- Services: The Broadway Box Office offers tickets for all shows currently playing on Broadway, as well as for upcoming productions. You can purchase tickets in person, or have them shipped to you. The box office also offers a convenient online ticketing service.
- Tips: If you plan to purchase tickets in person, it’s recommended to arrive early, as lines can be long, especially during peak tourist season.
- TKTS Booth
- Location: The TKTS Booth is located in Father Duffy Square, at 46th Street and 7th Avenue, directly in front of the red steps leading up to the TKTS sign.
- Hours: The booth is open from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Monday through Saturday, and from 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM on Sunday.
- Services: The TKTS Booth offers same-day discounted tickets for many Broadway shows. You can purchase tickets in person, or have them shipped to you. The booth also offers a convenient online ticketing service.
- Tips: The TKTS Booth is a great option for those looking to save money on their Broadway experience. However, it’s important to note that the discounts offered are typically for same-day performances only, and the selection of shows available can vary. It’s recommended to arrive early, as lines can be long, especially during peak tourist season.
Tips for Finding Discounted Tickets
- Lottery Tickets
- Many Broadway shows offer a lottery system where a limited number of tickets are sold at a discounted price.
- These tickets are typically sold for a few dollars less than the regular ticket price and can be a great way to save money on your Broadway experience.
- To participate in the lottery, you will need to arrive at the theater a few hours before the show and fill out a lottery form.
- The winners are then drawn at random and given the opportunity to purchase the discounted tickets.
- Standing Room Only (SRO) Tickets
- Standing Room Only tickets are a great option for those who are on a tight budget and don’t mind standing during the performance.
- These tickets are typically sold for a few dollars less than the regular ticket price and allow you to stand in the back of the theater during the show.
- While you won’t have a seat, you will still be able to see and hear the performance.
- Rush Tickets
- Rush tickets are a great way to get discounted tickets to popular Broadway shows.
- These tickets are typically sold for a few dollars less than the regular ticket price and are made available to the general public on the day of the performance.
- To purchase rush tickets, you will need to arrive at the theater a few hours before the show and queue up to purchase the tickets.
- These tickets are typically sold on a first-come, first-served basis, so it’s important to arrive early to secure your spot in line.
Where to Eat and Drink Near Broadway Theaters
If you’re planning to catch a show on Broadway, you’ll want to make sure you have a good meal and a few drinks before or after the performance. Fortunately, there are plenty of great restaurants and bars in the area that cater to theatergoers. Here are some of the best places to eat and drink near Broadway theaters:
If you’re looking for a fancy meal before or after the show, there are several high-end restaurants in the area that are worth checking out. Here are a few options:
- Le Bernardin: This Michelin-starred seafood restaurant is located just a few blocks from the theater district, and is known for its exquisite cuisine and exceptional service.
- Per Se: Another Michelin-starred restaurant, Per Se offers a tasting menu that changes daily, featuring seasonal ingredients and innovative flavors.
- Eleven Madison Park: This renowned restaurant is known for its inventive American cuisine, and has been named the best restaurant in the world by several publications.
If you’re looking for a more casual meal, there are plenty of great options in the area as well. Here are a few favorites:
- Joe’s Pizza: A classic New York pizzeria that’s been serving up delicious slices since 1975.
- Shake Shack: This popular chain serves up burgers, hot dogs, and shakes in a casual setting.
- Balthazar: This French bistro is known for its lively atmosphere and classic French dishes like steak frites and escargots.
Bars and Cocktails
If you’re looking for a place to grab a drink before or after the show, there are plenty of great options in the area. Here are a few standouts:
- The Rum House: This cocktail bar is known for its creative concoctions and tropical vibe.
- The Tea Room at the St. Regis: This swanky bar serves up a variety of teas and cocktails in a sophisticated setting.
- The Monkey Bar: This classic New York bar is known for its lively atmosphere and inventive cocktails.
No matter what type of cuisine or setting you’re looking for, there are plenty of great options for dining and drinking near Broadway theaters. Just make sure to book a reservation in advance to avoid disappointment!
For many theatergoers, the pre-theater dining experience is an essential part of the overall experience. Here are some options for pre-theater dining near Broadway theaters:
Many restaurants near Broadway theaters offer fixed-price menus that are designed to be completed before the show. These menus often include a variety of dishes that are designed to be quick and easy to eat, such as small plates, sandwiches, and salads. Some popular options for fixed-price menus include:
- The Russian Tea Room: This classic restaurant offers a pre-theater fixed-price menu that includes a selection of small plates, such as caviar, smoked salmon, and beef tartare.
- Oyster Bar: For a more casual pre-theater dining experience, the Oyster Bar is a great option. Their fixed-price menu includes a variety of seafood dishes, such as oysters, clams, and shrimp.
- The Tea Room at the St. Regis: This elegant tea room offers a pre-theater fixed-price menu that includes a selection of tea sandwiches, scones, and other light bites.
Special Theater Menus
Some restaurants near Broadway theaters offer special theater menus that are designed to be completed quickly before the show. These menus often include a selection of small plates and entrees that are designed to be easy to eat while on the go. Some popular options for special theater menus include:
- Joe’s Pub: This popular restaurant and bar offers a pre-theater menu that includes a selection of small plates, such as deviled eggs, wings, and sliders.
- Carmine’s Italian Restaurant: For a hearty pre-theater meal, Carmine’s Italian Restaurant is a great option. Their special theater menu includes a selection of pasta dishes, pizzas, and other Italian favorites.
- Sardi’s: This iconic restaurant is a favorite among theatergoers. Their special theater menu includes a selection of small plates, such as mozzarella sticks, calamari, and chicken fingers.
For those who prefer a more casual pre-theater dining experience, many bars and pubs near Broadway theaters offer pre-theater drinks that are designed to be completed quickly before the show. Some popular options for pre-theater drinks include:
- The Tea Room at the St. Regis: This elegant tea room offers a selection of tea, coffee, and other non-alcoholic beverages, as well as a variety of light bites.
- The Rum House: This popular bar offers a selection of cocktails, beer, and wine, as well as a menu of small plates and entrees.
- The Monkey Bar: This iconic bar offers a selection of cocktails, beer, and wine, as well as a menu of small plates and entrees.
In conclusion, there are many options for pre-theater dining near Broadway theaters, from fixed-price menus to special theater menus to pre-theater drinks. Whether you prefer a casual or elegant dining experience, there is something for everyone near the theaters.
After a thrilling performance on Broadway, it’s time to unwind and indulge in some post-theater nightlife. There are plenty of options for you to choose from, ranging from intimate bars to bustling nightclubs. Whether you’re looking for a quiet drink or a night of dancing, here are some of the best spots to check out:
- Bars and Pubs: For a classic New York City experience, head to one of the many bars and pubs located near Broadway theaters. Some popular options include the iconic Irish pub, The Mean Fiddler, or the trendy speakeasy-style bar, The Back Room.
- Cocktail Lounge: If you’re in the mood for something a little fancier, there are several cocktail lounges in the area that are perfect for a post-theater drink. The Jane Hotel’s Rooftop Bar offers stunning views of the city, while The Plaza Hotel’s Gold Room provides an elegant and sophisticated atmosphere.
- Nightclubs: If you’re feeling adventurous, there are several nightclubs in the area that are sure to keep you on your feet until the early hours of the morning. Some popular options include the dance-friendly Le Poisson Rouge and the upscale club, The Skylark.
No matter what your taste, there’s sure to be a post-theater nightlife spot that suits your needs. So, grab a drink, relax, and enjoy the vibrant energy of New York City after a night on Broadway.
Broadway Shows and Plays Upcoming in 2023
New Productions to Watch Out For
- Hangmen – This dark comedy, written by Martin McDonagh, follows a group of men in a pub in the aftermath of a hanging. It promises to be a witty and fast-paced show, with a talented cast that includes Dan Stevens and David Morrissey.
- The Minutes – This new play by Tracy Letts explores the inner workings of a small town council meeting, as they discuss the mundane details of their community. With a sharp and funny script, this show is sure to entertain.
- Ain’t Too Proud – This jukebox musical tells the story of the Temptations, one of the most iconic R&B groups of all time. With a dynamic cast and a score that includes classic hits like “My Girl” and “Papa Was a Rolling Stone,” this show is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Long-Running Shows to Catch Before They Close
- Hamilton – This revolutionary musical, which tells the story of founding father Alexander Hamilton, continues to captivate audiences with its innovative staging, memorable music, and talented cast. With its unique blend of history and hip-hop, it’s no wonder that this show has become a Broadway sensation.
- The Lion King – This beloved musical, based on the classic Disney film, brings the Pride Lands to life with its stunning costumes, puppets, and special effects. With its iconic songs and unforgettable characters, this show is a must-see for audiences of all ages.
- The Phantom of the Opera – This timeless musical, which tells the story of a mysterious and tragic figure who haunts the Opera Populaire, continues to thrill audiences with its grandiose staging, beautiful music, and memorable characters. With its legacy of over 30 years on Broadway, this show is a true classic.
Classic Shows to Experience for the First Time
- Cats – This iconic musical, based on T.S. Eliot’s Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats, follows a group of feline friends as they prepare for the Jellicle Ball. With its memorable music, intricate costumes, and unique staging, this show is a Broadway staple.
- The Sound of Music – This beloved musical, which tells the story of the von Trapp family and their escape from Nazi-occupied Austria, continues to charm audiences with its timeless songs, heartwarming story, and memorable characters. With its legacy of over 50 years on Broadway, this show is a true classic.
- West Side Story – This classic musical, which retells the story of Romeo and Juliet in 1950s New York City, continues to captivate audiences with its innovative staging, memorable music, and timeless themes of love, rivalry, and violence. With its legacy of over 60 years on Broadway, this show is a true masterpiece.
Highly Anticipated Musicals
Moulin Rouge! The Musical
Based on the iconic 2001 film, Moulin Rouge! The Musical brings the glitz and glamour of 19th century Paris to the stage. This romantic drama follows a young writer who falls in love with a courtesan, while navigating the bohemian lifestyle of the city’s infamous Moulin Rouge. With a score that blends popular music from the past and present, this show promises to be a spectacle of sight and sound.
MJ The Musical
MJ The Musical is a musical biography of the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. This highly anticipated show tells the story of Jackson’s rise to fame, his influential music, and the controversies that surrounded his life. With an all-star cast and creative team, this musical promises to bring the magic of Michael Jackson to the stage in a way that has never been seen before.
Set in the mid-1860s, Paradise Square tells the story of a community of free and enslaved Black people in New York City. This musical explores themes of race, class, and the struggle for freedom in a time of great change. With a score that blends jazz, blues, and gospel music, Paradise Square is a powerful and uplifting show that is sure to resonate with audiences.
Exciting New Plays
Broadway is always buzzing with new shows and plays, and 2023 is no exception. Here are some of the most exciting new plays that are set to hit the stage this year:
- Slave Play
Slave Play is a provocative and thought-provoking play that explores the legacy of slavery in America. Written by Jeremy O. Harris, the play follows a group of slaves who are brought to life in a contemporary art exhibit. As they come to life, they begin to explore their own desires and sense of freedom, while also grappling with the trauma of their past. With its powerful themes and its fresh, innovative approach to storytelling, Slave Play is sure to be one of the most talked-about plays of the year.
- Linda Vista
Linda Vista is a new play by Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tracy Letts. The play follows a 50-year-old man named Wheeler who has just been divorced and is struggling to come to terms with his newfound independence. As he navigates the dating scene and tries to rebuild his life, he begins to question his own identity and his place in the world. With its razor-sharp wit and its insightful exploration of the human condition, Linda Vista is a must-see for anyone who loves great theater.
- Sea Wall/A Life
Sea Wall/A Life is a two-part play that explores the themes of love, loss, and the passing of time. The first part, Sea Wall, follows a man named Alex who is reflecting on his life and his marriage after the death of his father. The second part, A Life, tells the story of a woman named Sarah who is also reflecting on her life and her relationship with her son. Both stories are beautifully written and beautifully performed, and they are sure to leave audiences moved and inspired.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most popular Broadway shows currently running?
There are several popular Broadway shows currently running, including:
- The Lion King
- Mean Girls
- Dear Evan Hansen
How can I purchase tickets for Broadway shows?
You can purchase tickets for Broadway shows through the official Broadway website, Ticketmaster, or through individual show websites. It’s best to book your tickets in advance, as popular shows tend to sell out quickly.
What is the age limit for children attending Broadway shows?
Most Broadway shows have a minimum age limit of 4-6 years old, depending on the show’s content and maturity level. However, some shows may have age restrictions, so it’s best to check with the show’s website or box office for specific age requirements.
Can I bring food and drinks into the theater?
No, you cannot bring food and drinks into the theater. However, most theaters have a concession stand where you can purchase snacks and drinks before the show.
Is there a dress code for Broadway shows?
There is no strict dress code for Broadway shows, but it’s generally recommended to dress nicely and respectfully for the occasion. It’s important to note that shorts, t-shirts, and sandals are generally not allowed in some theaters.
How long are Broadway shows?
Broadway shows typically run for 2-3 hours, including intermission. However, the length of the show may vary depending on the specific production.
Is it recommended to purchase tickets in advance?
When it comes to Broadway shows, it is always recommended to purchase tickets in advance. Here are some reasons why:
- Saves Money: Purchasing tickets in advance can save you money, especially if you’re looking for discounted tickets. Many websites offer discounts on Broadway tickets, and if you purchase them early enough, you can take advantage of these deals.
- Eases Planning: By purchasing tickets in advance, you can plan your visit to New York City better. You can choose the show you want to see, the date and time that suits you best, and even the seats you want to sit in. This allows you to have a stress-free experience and ensures that you get the best seats available.
- Reduces Stress: Last-minute ticket purchases can be stressful, especially if you’re trying to find tickets for a popular show. By purchasing tickets in advance, you can avoid the stress of trying to find tickets at the last minute.
- Increases Availability: When you purchase tickets in advance, you increase the availability of seats. Many shows sell out quickly, and purchasing tickets in advance can ensure that you get the seats you want.
Overall, purchasing tickets in advance is recommended if you want to save money, ease planning, reduce stress, and increase availability. It is important to note that not all shows require tickets to be purchased in advance, so it is always a good idea to check the show’s website or box office for ticketing information.
Are there any age restrictions for Broadway shows?
While Broadway shows are typically appropriate for audiences of all ages, some productions may contain mature themes, language, or violence that may not be suitable for younger children. In such cases, age restrictions may be implemented to ensure that the content is appropriate for the intended audience.
It is important to note that age restrictions are not set in stone and may vary depending on the discretion of the production team and the specific show. Some shows may have a strict age restriction, while others may have a more flexible policy that allows for discretion on a case-by-case basis.
To determine if a particular Broadway show has age restrictions, it is best to check the show’s official website or contact the box office directly. The staff at the box office will be able to provide detailed information on any age restrictions or content warnings that may apply to a particular show.
It is also worth noting that many Broadway theaters offer discounted ticket prices for children or special family-friendly shows that are specifically designed for younger audiences. These shows may be a great option for families with young children who are looking to enjoy the magic of Broadway without exposing them to content that may be too mature for their age.
Are there any discounts available for students or military personnel?
For those looking to catch a Broadway show but strapped for cash, there are several discounts available for students and military personnel. Many theaters offer discounted tickets to those who can provide proof of their status, such as a student ID or military ID. Some theaters even offer special discounted rates for groups of students or military personnel.
Additionally, there are several websites and organizations that offer discounted tickets to Broadway shows for students and military personnel. These websites often have special deals and offers that can save you money on your ticket purchase.
It’s important to note that availability and eligibility for these discounts can vary depending on the theater and the show. So, it’s always best to check with the theater or the discount provider to confirm availability and eligibility before purchasing tickets.
The answer to this question depends on the specific theater and the rules set by the show’s management. Generally, most Broadway theaters do not allow outside food or drinks to be brought into the theater. However, some theaters may allow small bottles of water or other beverages purchased within the theater. It is always best to check with the theater’s management or read their rules and regulations beforehand to avoid any inconvenience or issues during the show. It is also important to remember that the theater’s rules and regulations are in place to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all patrons, so it is advisable to follow them.
Are there any rules regarding photography or recording during the show?
Photography and recording during a Broadway show are generally prohibited. The rules regarding photography and recording during a Broadway show are as follows:
- Photography: Photography is generally not allowed during the performance. However, some shows may allow photography during intermission or at specific times during the show. It is always best to check with the theater’s staff before taking any photographs.
- Recording: Recording is strictly prohibited during the performance. This includes audio and video recording. Some shows may allow recording during intermission or at specific times during the show, but it is always best to check with the theater’s staff before recording anything.
It is important to respect the rules and regulations of the theater to ensure a pleasant experience for all patrons. Enjoy the show!
1. What plays are currently on Broadway?
Currently, there are several plays on Broadway. Some of the most popular ones include “Hamilton,” “The Lion King,” “Wicked,” “Aladdin,” “Frozen,” “Mean Girls,” “Dear Evan Hansen,” “The Book of Mormon,” “Come From Away,” and “The Phantom of the Opera.” However, please note that due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, theater performances may be subject to cancellation or rescheduling.
2. How can I purchase tickets for Broadway shows?
You can purchase tickets for Broadway shows through various online platforms such as Ticketmaster, Broadway.com, and StubHub. Some theaters also offer in-person ticket sales at their box offices. It’s always a good idea to check the official show website or social media pages for the latest information on ticket availability and sales.
3. Are there any restrictions or requirements for attending Broadway shows?
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, most Broadway theaters have implemented safety protocols and requirements for attending shows. These may include wearing masks, providing proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test, and adhering to social distancing guidelines. It’s important to check the official show website or social media pages for the latest information on safety protocols and requirements before purchasing tickets and attending the show.
4. What is the recommended age for attending Broadway shows?
Broadway shows are appropriate for a wide range of ages, depending on the specific show and its content. However, most shows are suitable for children and families, and many theaters offer discounted tickets for children and students. It’s always a good idea to check the official show website or social media pages for the latest information on age recommendations and discounts.
5. How long are Broadway shows?
The running time of Broadway shows can vary depending on the specific show and its content. However, most shows are approximately 2-3 hours long, including intermission. It’s always a good idea to check the official show website or social media pages for the latest information on running time and show schedule.